Saturday, July 5, 2008

with milk

this is a poem composed in my writing class last year. I am a little more self-conscious about my poetry than my prose, but this one I liked, so I hope it sits well with everyone in blog land!!

in the winter tree branches snap
splintering like old bones

snap, crackle
they remind me of her
because she reminds me of breakfast cereal
seems like a good idea at the time
but always leaves me hungry later
it’s my fault really
should have had the whole balanced breakfast
but all of her is a pointless dream
like bran muffins and orange slices

my boots are waterproof
but my toes are wet anyways
mostly because labels lie
and a little because they tell the truth
the snow turns to water and leaks in
leaks in like milk with its rolling whiteness

breakfast is everywhere
I’m hungry or lonely
both I suppose
because I hate to eat alone

supposed to be able
to feel winter chill in my bones
but I’ve never felt my bones
not even when I broke my leg
then I just felt the skin all around
swelling up to hug the break
flushed with the love of it
the rest of me all white
like the snow
like milk
like her

snap, crackle again as I cross the ice
she is everywhere
because she is dangerous
but no one puts up warning signs
I might go under
walking on thin ice
or eggshells
all over the counter after breakfast
don’t cry over broken egg shells
they look like spilt milk
all white

like suburbia
all white
all cold
all alone
like wintertime

here I am walking away from it all
from her, snow white
over thin ice

No comments: